The attention of the government of Imo state has been drawn to the report of the detention of the Commissioner for Finance, Deacon Chike Okafor and the Accountant General of the state, Mr. George Eche by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). The report also alleged that both government officials were arrested for obtaining a 40Billion Naira loan from Zenith Bank on behalf of the state government.
The allegation in its entirety is false, unfounded and another campaign of calumny designed to divert attention from the probe of the former PDP administration in the state.
We make bold to state categorically that the government of Imo state under His Excellency, Owelle Rochas Okorocha never obtained 40Billion Naira loan nor misappropriated the state funds as alleged. Instead, the present government has paid up all loans collected by the past administration including the 6.4Billion Naira loan by the former Gov. Ohakim just two months to 2011 election for which EFCC is yet to investigate.
We also wish to state that the government of Imo State will at any time throw its doors wide open for EFCC and other relevant anti-graft agencies as it has nothing whatsoever to hide. Rather than commend the administration of Owelle Rochas Okorocha for landmark achievements within a very short time such as:
– Free and qualitative education up to tertiary levels
– Construction of 27 new General Hospitals
– Construction of 305 schools in all the INEC wards
– Construction of over 1000 kilometers of roads
– Transformation of Orlu and Okigwe towns
– Reactivation of former Adapalm, Now Imo Palm Plantation to a profitable outfit for the first time in decades
– Construction of ICAPS and Young Scientists Schools
– Construction of Heroes Square – Construction of Ikemba Ojukwu Centre
– Construction of Heroes Apartment and many other people-oriented on-going projects within the state.
We are deeply shocked that former Gov. Ohakim who only executed 3 uncompleted projects in the state is yet to be arrested by the EFCC.
Meanwhile, the government of Owelle Rochas Okorocha will ever remain committed and focused in the ongoing transformation of Imo State.
Mr. Chinedu Offor
Hon. Commissioner for Information & Strategy
10th January, 2013